Caring for your hair properly and getting it to a level of optimal health as it survives through toxic environments, weather extremes, heat, styling, coloring and other chemical processes is no small feat. The journey to getting- and keeping- your hair healthy is one that requires time and dedication to a regimen of ongoing and detailed maintenance. It’s a commitment, to say the least.
Women of color and more specifically, ones that wear their hair naturally may often find that their hair becomes dry, tangled, brittle and even can become difficult to style and manipulate. Because of varying levels of coarseness and its inherent proneness to drying out, natural hair is at a higher risk of shedding, loss and thinning of edges, and other obstacles. This is where avocado oil for hair and avocado oil-based products step in to renew and rejuvenate hair in a plethora of ways. We know that avocado is good for us to eat because of its healthy fats. Well, it’s just as good for our hair and overall beauty and health.
What are the Key Benefits of Avocado Oil for Hair?
Avocado oil for hair is ideal as it is a feather-light oil that is ultra-absorbent and good for any hair porosity and all natural hair types. Avocado oil treats the scalp, the roots and the tips of your hair. This makes it a full treatment for your precious locks. Avocado is enriched with nutrients and healthy fats that fully hydrate and saturate your hair follicles and scalp. It’s high in oleic acid and monounsaturated fats and super nutrients that include A, B, C D and E vitamins, folic acid, magnesium and other vitamins and minerals that are fantastic for hair! Avocado oil benefits are plentiful.
- It’s a Natural Sealant- Avocado oil seals moisture into the hair and locks those rich nutrients into the cells of the hair. This sealing property hydrates and protects the hair without creating buildup or that dreaded oily, heavy feeling that weighs hair down and makes it appear lifeless.
- Avocado Oil is Good for Low Porosity Hair and High Porosity Hair- Because both low and high porosity hair are actively in need of moisture, that sealing property of avocado oil for hair makes it an ideal hair moisturizer.
- Avocado Oil won’t Clog your Pores- Avocado oil is super light and easily absorbed, so it can be used regularly without creating buildup or residue on the scalp. Unclogged pores and a healthy scalp are essential to aid in the promotion of growth and regrowth.
- Avocado Oil Tames Frizz- The natural fats in avocado oil help keep your hair shafts from splitting during high levels of humidity. Avocado oil is absorbed by the hair without weighing it down and adds to the strength of the hair shaft and cell.
- Avocado Oil is Great for Dry Hair and Sensitive Skin- The monounsaturated fats found in avocado oil are ideal for those with dry skin and hair. Avocado oil absorbs quickly into the dermis, providing a deep and intense level of moisturizing to contribute toward a healthy scalp.
These amazing properties of avocado oil make it an ideal solution for hair as it helps encourage growth, repairs and helps regrow, strengthens hair from root to tip, prevents breakage and improves the health and appearance of your hair. Avocado oil accomplishes this all while invigorating your tresses and improving its appearance.
How Should I Use Avocado Oil to Regrow My Hair?
If your hair has suffered damage, loss, breakage or shedding, there are a number of ways to purposefully use this multi-faceted oil and its multitude of benefits to regrow your hair. The key to trigger regrowth will be penetrating and massaging the oil into your scalp and roots. Massaging the oil into your hair and edges will help invigorate and replenish your scalp, circulate your blood flow and distribute all those amazing nutrients throughout the hair, helping to renew your hair follicles.
If your hair is very damaged, trim it little by little. Ideally, you should have your hair trimmed every six weeks. Consistent trims will help lessen dead ends and greatly improve your level of shedding. Comb the avocado oil through your hair regularly so that each strand of hair can benefit from its vitamin and essential minerals.
How Can I Use Avocado Oil at Home to Help my Hair?
Here are some great, quick usage tips if you are looking to improve the overall health and strength of your hair through an avocado oil regimen.
- Add some avocado oil to all your current products, including shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioners and styling products.
- Use avocado oil to blend with other nourishing essential and carrier oils like tea tree oil, lavender oil, almond oil, Jamaican castor oil, extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil. This is a phenomenal blend for a reparative hot oil treatment.
- Avocado oil is a great natural detangler for hair. Apply it liberally to your hair after shampooing and conditioning, then comb it through with a detangling comb. It’s also an excellent alternative to traditional conditioner.
- Use avocado oil to aid in pre-styling processes like twist-outs, bantu knots, and braids.
- Broken, split ends? Avocado oil is a natural sealant that will protect your ends and keep your hair hydrated, helping to prevent further damage to your hair.
- Dry, itchy scalp? Avocado oil does wonders for hydrating and sealing moisture into the scalp without clogging pores. Use it whenever your hair feels dry and don’t forget to massage it evenly throughout your scalp, roots and tips of your hair.
- Use avocado oil to moisturize curly tresses and lock in moisture. Because it’s a natural humectant and SPF, you will see an immediate improvement in overall shine, bounce and hair health.
- Try a natural avocado-based deep conditioning treatment or hair masque. You can make these yourself at home using fresh avocados or pure avocado oil and keep it in your fridge.
- Damage? Avocado oil for hair is lightweight and ideal for every density and level of porosity of hair. It won’t clog pores, is easy to distribute and helps bring back the vibrancy of your hair, and even return your curl pattern if it has been lost.
- Transitioning hair? Avocado oil is a plus for transitioning to natural hair or growing your hair out. The moisturizing emollients works as a natural hair growth serum.
DIY Home Treatments Using Avocado Oil
There are a number of viable avocado oil-based treatments that will thoroughly nourish and hydrate hair that are available on the market. If you prefer to make your own at home, try these DIY natural hair care recipes. They are quick and easy to make and will bring life and luster to your hair in the comfort of your home.
Hair Masque Avocado Oil Treatment
Ingredients you will Need
1 Tablespoon each of Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Coconut Milk and Black Castor Oil
*For regrowth or growth encouragement, add a few drops of any of peppermint or tea tree essential oils to the mixture
Instructions to Create your Masque
Thoroughly blend your avocado to a creamy texture and add the oils and coconut milk to the mixture. Apply the masque to the hair and wash out after twenty minutes. For an extra-hydrating and intense conditioning process, cover your hair with a shower cap and keep it in for hours or even overnight. Use warm water or a natural clarifying shampoo to wash off the mask. Moisturize your hair with a few drops of avocado oil. Wait until the oil in the hair has dried and absorbed fully before using heat to style.
Hot Avocado Oil Treatment
Ingredients you will Need:
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Jar to Store the Oil in
Small Pan of Freshly Boiled Water
Hot Towel or Shower Cap
Instructions to Create your Hot Oil Treatment:
Boil your water fully, turn the water off and remove it from the heat. Combine 5 tablespoons (or more if your hair is extra thick or long) each of your avocado and extra virgin coconut oil into the jar. You can also opt to add your favorite essential oils to this mixture. Place the jar of oil into the hot water for up to two minutes, then apply the oil to your hair. Evenly distribute the mixture and use it as a scalp moisturizer, massaging it into your scalp. Cover your hair with the hot towel or shower cap. You can sit under a dryer to further boost the treatment. Rinse with warm water or clarifying shampoo if necessary. There should be no need to further moisturize the hair after this treatment.
How Should I Use Avocado Oil to Regrow My Hair?
There are a number of ways to utilize this multi-faceted oil and its numerous benefits to regrow your hair. The key to trigger regrowth will be penetrating and massaging the oil into your scalp and roots, massaging it into your hair and edges to invigorate and replenish. If your hair is very damaged, trim it little by little to lessen dead ends and help lessen and prevent shedding. Comb the avocado oil through your hair to distribute it evenly and assure all of the hair receives its nutrients. Do this at least once a day and you will see immediate improvement in the texture, appearance, feel and health of your hair.
My Hair is Always Dry and Brittle, how will Avocado Oil Improve it?
Remember that it takes time to grow your hair out, so patience will be key. It’s easier said than done but do your best to refrain from getting frustrated while you are in the in-between phase (after short but before long) with your hair. Your hair will get there in its own time. Instead of getting discouraged with a lack of ways to style your hair, try some (or all) of these many styles that will capture your personality. Most importantly, don’t forget to keep your hair hydrated, clean and your ends trimmed regularly to prevent shedding and split ends. The healthier your hair, the longer and more luxuriously it will grow.
Are there any Negative Side Effects to Using Avocado Oil?
There are virtually no charted negative side effects to using avocado oil to treat your hair and is even encouraged for those with sensitive skin. The only individuals that should refrain from using avocado or avocado oil in their hair are those that are allergic to the fruit itself. If you’re uncertain whether you’re allergic to the fruit or oil, perform a small patch test to monitor your reaction on your skin. Wait fifteen minutes to fully assess any potentially adverse reactions on your skin before proceeding with an avocado oil treatment.
Do remember that the health of your hair performs at its prime when it’s treated from the inside out. Thus, focus on your overall health as a whole when you are looking to improve your hair health, growth and appearance. Make sure to stay hydrated using water- specifically alkaline water and waters like coconut water which are high in electrolytes. Don’t just use avocado oil for your hair. Integrate avocado and avocado oil into your regular diet and lifestyle. Avocado oil is a great oil to cook and dress salads with and is very tasty and light and flavor. Studies have also shown that consumption of avocado can improve heart and digestive health, so you’ve got nothing to lose as you prepare to amp up your avocado and avocado oil intake.
Semantic Keywords Used in Article
natural hair types
low porosity hair
avocado oil for hair
high porosity hair
avocado oil benefits
deep conditioning treatment
natural hair care
hair growth serum